The Importance of Garage Door Maintenance
Like almost any large moving part in your home, your garage door needs maintenance to run properly. Does your garage door need a little TLC? Make sure it’s properly maintained! This is the best way to help ensure it remains in good working order.
Garage Door Maintenance
There may be a lot of projects you handle around the house, but caring for your garage door is best left to the pros. Generally, such maintenance includes steps such as:
- Cleaning the garage door track: We don’t recommend lubricating the garage door track in an attempt to alleviate noisy operation. What is needed is a simple cleaning with a damp cloth followed by a clean dry rag. A small amount of WD40 may be appropriate for removing any sticky residue on the track.
- Realigning the sensors: The sensors at the bottom of the garage door act as a safety feature. When the beam is interrupted while the garage door is closing, it reverses to prevent trapping anything beneath it. Check for a blinking light. If you see this error indication, the sensors should be realigned.
- Lubricating the appropriate components: The chain rail, hinges, stems, metal rollers and other components should be lubricated when the garage door becomes excessively loud. While some parts require lubricant to function properly, others can be ruined by it, which is why you should leave this job to the professionals.
- Inspecting and resetting the opener if necessary: Regular inspection can help prevent problems with the garage door opener before they arise. A reset is also an option if your garage door stops working properly.
- Inspecting springs, cables and hardware: A quick visual inspection can help determine if you need a garage door tune-up. A service technician can make necessary adjustments or repairs for a quick fix.
All of these tasks should be handled by professionals.