Out of sight, out of mind. That’s probably the case for your garage door opener (the motorized device that is part of the door system). But this little piece is important! Your garage door wouldn’t be able to operate without it.
Unfortunately, garage door openers won’t last forever. Is it time to get a new one? If yours is broken and your garage door isn’t working properly, call 260-205-8509 or get in touch with us online. You can also keep reading to learn more about the average lifespan of openers and when you should replace them!
How Long Do Garage Door Openers Last?
On average, a garage door opener should last about 10 – 15 years. Some last longer and some last a shorter amount of time, but keeping up with maintenance can help increase the lifespan. If moving parts aren’t lubricated, the door isn’t balanced correctly, etc., the opener tends to wear out more quickly.
The best thing you can do to ensure your garage door opener lasts as long as possible is to keep up with professional maintenance. This typically includes:
- Visual inspection of the springs, rollers, cables, track and pulleys
- Lubrication of moving parts to ensure smooth operation
- Door balance
- Reversal test
- And more
Should You Replace Your Garage Door Opener?
If you have an older garage door opener, you may want to consider replacing it. Reasons to replace include:
- Safety: It’s recommended to replace openers made prior to 1993. Many old models aren’t equipped with infrared sensors or other external entrapment protection devices and don’t meet today’s standard for garage door safety. For this reason, we think that all openers made before 1993 should be replaced.
- Noise control: Newer models tend to be quieter in operation than older ones.
- Convenience: Many newer garage door operators are available with convenient battery backup systems.
Garage Door Services in the Fort Wayne, Indiana Area
If you need a new garage door opener—or any other service for your door—look to the team at the Overhead Door Co. of Fort Wayne. We have experience working with all types of garage doors and look forward to helping you.
Contact us online or call 260-205-8509 to learn more about our services or to schedule a consultation!