Your garage is one of the most susceptible areas of your home to pest infestation. Critters love to crawl around and hide in your garage, using this safe haven as the perfect place to nest and raise their young. By following a few easy steps, you can prevent against playing host to unwanted residents in your garage.
While many factors can contribute to bugs finding their way into your garage, one of the most significant could be an issue with your garage door. If you suspect your garage door is in need of maintenance, contact the professionals at The Overhead Door Company of Fort Wayne to schedule service today.
Signs of Pest Infestation in Your Garage
The first step to preventing pests from infesting your garage is identifying whether or not they’re already there. Homeowners can easily determine whether or not pests have taken up residence in their garage by looking out for the following signs:
- Chewed/damaged wires
- Grease marks
- Rustling noises
- Foul odors
Pest prevention can only begin after those currently living in your garage have been successfully removed. Once this first step has been accomplished, you can proceed to the additional steps for pest prevention.
Steps for Pest Prevention in Your Garage
After the pests have been successfully removed from your garage, the following steps should be followed in order to prevent their return:
- Step 1 – Clean Your Garage: Bugs and other pests are drawn to clutter, so keeping a tidy garage is essential for preventing infestation. Keep your garage dry and remove any debris. Be sure to remove any garbage and seal your garage.
- Step 2 – Check for Cracks: Pests can make their way inside your garage through cracks in your foundation, walls, ceiling and windows. Carefully comb over your garage and seal any cracks you find with silicone caulk.
- Step 3 – Lay Traps: Invest in some pesticides and manual traps — such as fly strips or mouse traps — to bolster security within your garage. Spray a nontoxic pesticide around your garage door, windows and walls. It’s important to use a pesticide that won’t harm you if you breathe it in, ensuring the area is well-ventilated during initial application.
- Step 4 – Remove Food Items: Pests love food almost as much as they love hiding places. Remove the temptation for pests to infiltrate your garage by ensuring any food or pet food stored there is carefully sealed or removed from the area altogether. If you choose to store your grill in the garage, be sure to clean it thoroughly before storing.
- Step 5 – Check Your Garage Door: Check your garage door to ensure it closes properly without any gaps and that it is free of any cracks or other physical damage. If you don’t have any in place already, install weather stripping at the bottom of your garage door to ensure it seals completely.
The best way to ensure your garage door can handle keeping pests at bay is by scheduling routine maintenance.
Contact Us for Garage Door Maintenance Service
Don’t let your garage be a home to unwanted pests: The team at The Overhead Door Company of Fort Wayne is here to help prevent pest infestation through our expert garage door maintenance services. We’ll ensure your garage door is properly sealed and functioning as it should to protect against pests that could infiltrate your home.
Ready to get started? Contact us to schedule garage door maintenance for your home today!