How to Improve Garage Door Security
As a home or business owner, you value your security. Whether you’re locking your front door, securing your windows or setting up an alarm system in your home, there are a number of ways to practice safety around your home. Did you know your garage door should also be secure? The experts at Overhead Door Company of Fort Wayne have some tips on how to make sure you never have to worry about a security issue in your garage.
How Can You Increase Garage Door & Home Security?
Here are a number of ways to help improve the security of your garage door, garage space and home:
- Shut the garage door. This one seems like a no-brainer, but you may be surprised at how many people leave their garage doors open, especially when it’s nice out! Make sure your garage door is closed all the way, especially when you’re locking up for the night.
- Consider locking the garage door. Many doors actually have a locking mechanism. A simple interior slide lock or exterior keyed lock can be purchased through a local garage door service provider.
- Don’t leave the remote in the car. While it is a lot more convenient to leave the garage door remote in the car, we don’t recommend doing this if you park the car in the driveway or out on the street.
- Lock interior doors leading into the house. On the off chance somebody breaks into the garage, you want to be sure the door into the house is safe and secure—at all times.
- Don’t give out the garage door code. When it comes to the code to your keypad, keep it in the family. Avoid telling it to too many people. If your keypad requires professional repair, it’s recommended to clear the code and reprogram it afterwards.
- Go with frosted or privacy glass. If you prefer windowless garage doors, that’s perfectly fine. If you like windows but are concerned about security, there are options like frosted glass and other ways to increase privacy and security. You can also place windows higher up.
- Buy an alarm system for the garage. Alarm systems and security systems—like Overhead Door’s Wall Console and Advanced Wall Console—can help provide peace of mind. They offer additional security by giving you more control over your door. The consoles feature Sure-Lock™, which disables the remote’s access to the garage when you’re away for extended periods of time.
- Keep up with maintenance. This one may seem unrelated, but a garage door in perfect working condition is more secure than one that is corroding, rusting or experiencing other problems. Plus, a properly working door provides thermal protection.
Garage Door Installation, Repair & Replacement in Northeast Indiana
Now that you are equipped with the knowledge to help you keep a more secure home, make sure your garage is in great shape. Call the professionals at Overhead Door Company of Fort Wayne at (260) 205-8509 or fill out a contact form to learn more about our services.